Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Life After Baby Part 1: Camryn's Story

Well, here we are.  Camryn is 4 months old and I'm 4 months postpartum.  I had figured that at this time I would be reporting about how awesome it was to be back at CrossFit; how because I worked out 'til the end, everything was so much easier postpartum; and that I had no problem jumping back onto the Paleo wagon and continuing with my healthy, active living.  I'm here today to tell you that sometimes it just doesn't work out the way you thought it would...

Let's start from the beginning, the day before we were blessed with our beautiful girl...

As Easter weekend came to an end, I woke up Monday morning, looked down at my baby belly and said "Baby Girl, you can come any day now.  Like maybe today.  So Mommy doesn't have to go to work tomorrow."  Don't get me wrong, I love my job.  I mean who wouldn't!  I work in Recreation, for a Town full of natural recreation opportunities, and my office is located at the pool!  Not wanting to go back to work was solely based on the fact that I felt done.  I was tired, swollen, and ready for this baby to come.  I was feeling a little ill so I called my mom to see if she could keep Ciara a little longer while I napped.

Well, she must've been listening because 3 hours later my water broke and we were on our way to the hospital.  Unfortunately, we were sent back home because nothing else was happening.  I wasn't having any contractions.  SO they said, get walking, moving, whatever you have to do.  If anything else happened, we were to come right back.  Otherwise, we were to come in at 8am Tuesday morning to be induced.

Well we walked and walked and walked.  Nothing!  So we went home and watched movies until midnight.  During that time, I had some small contractions but nothing crazy.  We went to bed around 1am and that's when it all started.  So we headed to CGMH.  Once we arrived, everything slowed back down.  They kept me anyway hoping I would get some sleep.  Needless to say that was a dream...

By morning there hadn't been much progress so they started "the drip".  Well that kicked in and after 2 hours of induced labour, I was ready.  I won't go into any details about that LOL.  When I got the ok to push, I looked up at the clock and thought "It's WOD time... GO".  When Camryn Elizabeth was born, I looked up again, 15 minutes!  BAM!  Great PR LOL

I got to hold her immediately and my heart melted.  I looked and Parker and could see he was instantly in love.  Then she was whisked off by the nurses.

I was pretty high on pain meds and didn't really understand what all was happening.  But it turns out that Camryn was having respiratory issues.  Parker went out to the nurses' station while I was being attended to.  I remember him coming back to check on me but heading back out.  It was 45 minutes before I got to hold Camryn again.  She pulled through but it was pretty scary.  Thankfully there have not been any other issues since.

By early evening I was feeling great!  I couldn't believe how great I was feeling.  Camryn was a pro at feeding so no issues there.  Although a little bit of a rough sleep night, I felt great in the morning and ready to go home.  As soon as Camryn had her 24 hour blood work, we headed out the door.

I attribute so much of my healthy pregnancy to continuing to CrossFit right up until about a week before she was born, and all the healthy, clean eating I did before I was pregnant.  Not so clean while I was pregnant :(

And then it all began... TUNE IN FOR PART 2: Wasn't as Easy as I Thought It Would Be


1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful story Michelle. It was all worth it as you all have a wonderful new member to your family. She is adorable that's for sure. Your journey up until this moments was awesome I cannot wait for your next instalment. Thank you for sharing hon.

    ReplyDelete